UAS is established in Yarmouk
The 2016-2017 academic school year will mark the Universal American School’s 40th Anniversary of excellence in education. Founded in 1976, in Kuwait, the Universal American School began its tradition of greatness in academics, in athletics and in fine arts. It opened its doors in September 1975 to approximately 300 students. Today we have over 1800 students from all over the world.
At the School's inauguration, Mr. Abdul Aziz Thunayan Al Ghanim, founder of UAS, stated, "The new Universal American School in Kuwait will hold high the dreams of the future in projecting an image of traditional greatness." As a non-profit school, UAS Kuwait has achieved its mission to educate students in an international environment, to inspire learning for its own sake and to instill enthusiasm for creativity.
Within a 40-year span, UAS Kuwait grew to 1800 students and 300 staff members from around the world. It has received accreditation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges as well as from the Council of International Schools.
MILESTONES DURING THE JOURNEY OF 40 YEARS
We graduated our first class with five boys and one girl
- Our yearbook is published in color
- We acquired accreditation from Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Our first Student Council is established
- We launched our own National Honor Society Chapter
- Badminton made its debut at UAS
- Ms. Joan Khaja joined UAS as a Third Grade teacher, making her the longest standing staff member. She’s currently our Vice Superintendent
- We started our Computer Club, Chess Club, Debate Society and the Model United Nations program
- Kuwait TV invited our band for a live performance
- Iraq invaded Kuwait
- The Salwa Campus became a headquarters for the Iraqi troops
- UAS reopens with 291 students
- Dr. Abdul Latif Al Shamali, would lead the School as its director, along with Dr. Dale Koch as Superintendent
- We reinstated our membership with EMAC and KFSAC
- We graduated our first post liberation class
- We changed our logo from Lions to EAGLES!
- We published our first newspaper called The Universal Press.
- Our student body increased to 650 students from 30 countries
- Mrs. Nora Al Ghanim became Administrative Director of UAS
- We hosted our Third Annual Model United Nations
- We started our charity work with a walkathon to raise funds for the construction of a school in Tanzania
- Sheikh Sabah Al Sabah was the keynote speaker at our Graduation
- UAS celebrates its 25th Anniversary
- UAS Varsity Soccer team won KFSAC and ISAC championships
- Sheikh Jaber Al Sabah passes away
- UAS moves to Hawalli
- UAS establishes Alumni Association
- UAS Ambassadors visit sick children in Al Amiri Hospital
- Launched our Instagram account
- Started the Accelerated Reader Program
- UAS students won top five prizes in the Religion and Arabic Language competitions
UAS celebrates 40th Anniversary